- Flag Day, June 14th, also commemorates the Army Birthday (1775).
- The week of June 14th is Flag Week and the President issues an official Presidential Proclamation..."I direct the appropriate officials to display the flag on all Federal Government buildings during that week, and I urge all Americans to observe Flag Day and National Flag Week by displaying the flag..."
- On June 14th, 2004, the 108th U.S. Congress voted unanimously on H.R. 662 that Flag Day originated in Ozaukee County, Waubeka Wisconsin.
- Bernard J. Cigrand, is recognized as the father of Flag Day, when on June 14th, 1885 as a 19 year old teacher at Stony Hill High School, Waubeka, Wisconsin, he began his efforts to bring about the official recognition and observance of Flag Day.
- While not a federal holiday, Flag Day, June 14th, is recognized as a state holiday in one state, Pennsylvania.
- Old Glory is a common nickname for the flag of the United States, bestowed by William Driver, an early nineteenth century American sea captain...read more of this interesting story
Do you have a favorite picture of "Old Glory"? We'd love to see it!
Photo used under creative commons by jnn1776.
Photo used under creative commons by jimbowen0306.
Photo used under creative commons by Julia Folsom.
Photo used under creative commons by Bill Garrett.
You might also like...